Veterans’ Assistance Fund
SECTION I: GENERAL
The fund was established to provide assistance to eligible persons in the State of North Dakota or be assigned to a DAV chapter in the state of North Dakota.
The Finance Committee will meet as necessary to consider requests for assistance from the Veterans Assistance Fund.
Individuals will submit a written request to the department, using the prescribed format. The Department Adjutant/Treasurer will review applications and forward appropriate documentation and recommendations to the Finance Committee for action.
Individuals will not be granted assistance more than one time. The maximum amount of money that may be dispersed on behalf of any individual is $250.00. Cases will be closed after disbursement of funds for the requested purpose. Approval does not establish a line of credit. Funds will be disbursed directly to vendors, not individual applicants.
The Finance Committee will interpret and apply the provisions of this policy. The decision of the Finance Committee shall be final.
SECTION II: COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
Finance Committee membership requirements:
- Three DAV members in good standing, elected by the Department Membership.
- Must be capable of reviewing and responding to applications for assistance within 48 hours of receipt.
- The Department Commander, Senior Vice Commander, Junior Vice Commanders, and Chaplain will not serve on the committee.
- The Department Adjutant/Treasurer will serve as a non-voting member of the committee.
SECTION III: ELIGIBILITY
Funds will be expended by the Disabled American Veterans, Department of North Dakota for the benefit of eligible persons in accordance with the following priority groups:
- DAV members in good standing.
- DAV Auxiliary members.
- Non-Auxiliary Spouses/widows/dependent children of DAV members in good standing or deceased DAV members.
- Non-member veterans who have been rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) with service-connected disabilities.
- Spouses/widows /dependent children of non-member veterans with service-connected disabilities.
- Veterans receiving VA live pension benefits.
- Widows receiving VA death pension benefits.
- Other veterans/spouses/widows/dependent children with financial need.
Recipients must reside in the State of North Dakota, or be assigned to a DAV chapter in the State of North Dakota.
Veterans are defined as individuals who have:
- Served a minimum of 180 consecutive days of active federal service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or the period called to active duty, other than for training purposes.
- Been discharged from a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces with character of service determined as honorable or under honorable conditions.
SECTION IV: AUTHORIZED EXPENDITURES
If approved by majority vote of the Finance Committee, funds may be disbursed for the following purposes, not listed in priority:
- Rent for primary residence
- Utilities for primary residence
- Transportation to out of state medical appointments
- Vocational training
- Medical equipment
- Supplement the grant program(s) administered by the North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs
- Tools and equipment necessary to pursue livelihood
- Other needs determined appropriate by the Finance Committee
SECTION V: GENERAL CRITERIA
Applicants will be considered for assistance based on the following criteria:
- Need for the service/benefit requested
- Direct benefit to the applicant
SECTION VI: PROHIBITED EXPENDITURES
Monies from the Veterans Aid Fund shall not be used for the following purposes:
- Routine department expenses
- Political donations /activities
- Assistance for transient veterans
Other uses deemed inappropriate by the Finance Committee
To apply, simply fill out this application online and submit it. It will be emailed to the Department and be reviewed. You will be notified of your approval or denial within 5 business days of the date you submitted the application.
If you prefer to print the application and mail it, just click the box below and follow the directions on the application.