Veterans’ Assistance Fund
The DAV, Department of North Dakota is proud to announce the beginning of a brand new program called the Veterans’ Assistance Fund. It is a one-time grant of $250 to help a veteran in need. Here is how eligibility works:
Funds will be expended by the Disabled American Veterans, Department of North Dakota for the benefit of eligible persons in accordance with the following priority groups:
- DAV members in good standing
- DAV Auxiliary members.
- Non-Auxiliary Spouses/widows/dependent children of DAV members in good standing or deceased DAV members.
- Non-member veterans who have been rated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) with service-connected disabilities.
- Spouses/widows /dependent children of non-member veterans with service-connected disabilities.
- Veterans receiving VA live pension benefits.
- Widows receiving VA death pension benefits.
- Other veterans/spouses/widows/dependent children with financial need.
Recipients must reside in the State of North Dakota, or be assigned to a DAV chapter in the State of North Dakota.
Veterans are defined as individuals who have:
- Served a minimum of 180 consecutive days of active federal service in the Armed Forces of the United States, or the period called to active duty, other than for training purposes.
- Been discharged from a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces with character of service determined as honorable or under honorable conditions.
If approved by majority vote of the Finance Committee, funds may be disbursed for the following purposes, not listed in priority:
- Rent for primary residence
- Utilities for primary residence
- Transportation to out of state medical appointments
- Vocational training
- Medical equipment
- Supplement the grant program(s) administered by the North Dakota Department of Veterans Affairs
- Tools and equipment necessary to pursue livelihood
- Other needs determined appropriate by the Finance Committee
Individuals will not be granted assistance more than one time. The maximum amount of money that may be dispersed on behalf of any individual is $250.00.
Cases will be closed after disbursement of funds for the requested purpose. Approval does not establish a line of credit. Funds will be disbursed directly to vendors, not individual applicants.
Applicants will be considered for assistance based on the following criteria:
- Need for the service/benefit requested
- Direct benefit to the applicant
Monies from the Veterans Aid Fund shall not be used for the following purposes:
- Routine department expenses
- Political donations /activities
- Assistance for transient veterans
- Other uses deemed inappropriate by the Finance Committee
To Apply: See the Veterans’ Assistance Page on this website!
(DAV)Disabled American Veterans, Department of North Dakota Elects New State Commander
On Saturday May 15th , 2021 at the DAV, Department of ND Convention/Business meeting held in
Bismarck, ND; Matthew Herrud of Fargo, ND was elected the 2021 DAV, Department of North Dakota
Commander Herrud was born and raised in Langdon, ND, he joined the United States Army as a Combat
Medic, February 2005 and served two combat tours; one in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. After his
Honorable discharge in December 2012, he began to serve and currently serves as the National Service
Officer with the Disabled American Veterans. He assists veterans, their families, and caregivers get the
support and benefits they’ve earned, navigating them through the claim process at the VA. He has been
in his role as National Service Officer since 2014. Commander Herrud is married with 2 children and
resides in Fargo, ND.
If you would like to get a hold of Matt you can email him at Commander@davnd.org or get a hold of the
DAV, Department of North of North Dakota at DeptofNorthDakota@davnd.org